Brace For Impact

In "Brace for Impact" by Seth Godin, Seth gives us a quick and direct observation that could have a huge ripple effect on our stress level.
seth godinWhen we brace for impact emotionally and intellectually, that is, anticipate a difficult outcome before it actually manifests as a negative experience, we light the flame of anxiety in ourselves.
I have been guilty of this more times than I can count in my life. First, as a kid, when my father called through the house for me to come see him, I would get nervous that I was in trouble, even if I couldn't remember what I had done, if anything. Same with teachers. I'd be shocked if you couldn't think of some teachers you had that sent a chill up your spine simply by saying your name.
As adults, we do it when we know we have a deadline for a proposal that is due next week, or a presentation we must make to a group, or a martial arts class we're scheduled to lead.
A little stress is good stress, but how often are we going overboard, anticipating and fearing an outcome that hasn't arrived yet? And how many times does that anxiety build us up into such a fearful clench that it scares us away from trying something new and stepping out of our comfort zone?
That's my take. Here is Seth Godin's:

Brace for Impact

No comments:

Post a Comment